Under the Sendai Framework on Disaster Risk Reduction, International Collaborating Center of Disaster Education Research and Implementation (ICCDERI) holds a hub function to establish networks within Japan and internationally on disaster education. ICCDERI aims at promoting the following activities for contributing to building a resilient society from an educational aspect:
- Conducting multi-disciplinary research through harmonizing human science and natural science, including education. Possible fields of research include developing a model on disaster education through partnerships between school and community;
- Thorough collaboration with Michinoku Disaster Archive, establishing a ‘digital platform on disaster information exchange’ and utilizing it for disaster education;
- Promoting partnerships with international organizations, overseas universities, and research institutions for developing monitoring and evaluation methods on comprehensive school safety in developing countries.
- Fostering human capacity on school disaster safety through development and implementation of training programs for pre-service and in-service teachers and educational officers on disaster education and management; and
- Accumulating information and research outcomes by promoting joint research and organizing international workshops with universities and institutions on research and practice in Japan and the world.